Tuesday 5 January 2016

I am not open to relationship again, i’m very happy now – Actress, Iyabo Ojo

Known to be one of the most popular actresses in English movie sector before she eventually traced her roots back to her Yoruba origin, Iyabo Ojo is a popular actress in Yoruba segment who started with Keppy Ekpoyong when she was introduced to the veteran actor by Bimbo Akintola in 1997, and she made her debut in 1998 with a sub lead role in “Satanic” and ever since, this petite mother of two, a graduate of Estate Management from Lagos State Polytechnic has not looked back. Been of the busiest celebrities in 2015, Iyabo has produced four movies in the year that includes Silence, Beyond Disability, Black Val and Astray to mention. In this chat with MUTIAT ALLI, the Fespris world CEO disclose how excited it was playing alongside Hollywood star, Dorien Wilson, work and other sundry issues.

You won two awards “Back to Back” do you still see more coming before the end of the year?
I pray so, like today I’m going for one at least I was nominated so if I win fine if I don’t I’m still a winner. Been nominated is as good as been a winner too.
Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 7.07.58 PM
What project are you currently working on?
Currently you know I have four movies out that I’ve produced one is out and I have three more to go. “Beyond disabilities” has already gone through cinema and it’s in the box office and also on online TV, so hopefully we’re trying to release it either late January or early February; also I’m planning to launch my other two movies “Black Val and Astray” Astray is the one I featured alongside musician, Sean Tizzle so I’m planning to launch both together one English and one Yoruba movie.

Why the choice of Sean Tizzle in that particular movie?
It’s because the character needed someone like Sean Tizzle and he already showed interest and I also heard he’s a theatre art graduate; he showed a lot of interest and you know the job you need to love it.  The character goes with this kind of looks and not person the character is much different from what he played we needed an upcoming artist even if he’s already there at least he started from somewhere, he’ll understand how an upcoming artiste will behave and he had all the qualities we needed so, we picked him for the shoot.
Will you say he actually nailed it on set?
Oh he did, if there’s anything like over nailed because that was his first time so he did perfectly well. You know he was dedicated before he got on stage he already knew all his lines it was just for the director to give him direction on how to deliver his lines, how to stop, gestures, the key things he wanted to know and so it was so easy because he wanted learn so when he is corrected he takes it. He connected well with everybody he just came in and became a family and everything just went well, so he nailed it 100%.
You have over four movies this year, what will 2016 look like in terms of production?
I don’t know, well silence was shot in 2013 and Beyond Disabilities was shot 2013/2014 then the other two movies were shot after. Well I thank God, we should just keep thanking God in whatever position we find ourselves. I have about seven or eight movies that I want to shoot, we’ll commend shooting one after the other, the only problem is that piracy is not helping us; hence the market is not smiling, I don’t mind shooting once every three month but we also have to slow down because of the market. we have invested so much so we need to get the money back so that why I said we’re waiting to release ‘’Beyond disabilities and also premiere Astray & Black Val and try and see if we can raise little funds and then put those ones too online & then put them into market and start shooting. So next year  I’m dreaming big,  I want to shoot an international movie I’ve always wanted to shoot an international movie but when I went to shoot ‘’The Mask’’ in America which I starred alongside with this Nollywood actor Dorien Wilson, it was fun I really enjoyed working with them. I have promised myself that when next I want to shoot my next movie, I will travel down there and other African countries.
Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 7.07.26 PM
How does it feel to be working with a Nollywood star?
I felt really good working with a known face, that was a big one for me and you know he was so humble, he was so into his work and you know there was a lot of chemistry, he nailed it and I know I did my best.
How do you feel seeing your children toll your own path?
I am grateful Priscilla was nominated this year’s at the best of Nollywood award. I am grateful that she’s doing fine though my son is in between he’s not fully go into it, I can see him pick a bit one or two interest in.  I’m happy as long as it’s what he loves doing I’m not forcing them to do it. Priscilla loves it; she said mummy I want go study Theatre Art and she keeps repeating it so I can see she want walk that path and I’m going to want her to walk it greater than I had because that every mother’s prayer for your children to be greater than you.
Don’t you feel a little bit threatened that your daughter may want to over shadow you in the industry?
Ah!! Make she over shadow me make I rest na. that’s what I want if I could help upcoming to grow why  won’t I want my own daughter to grow I want her to grow beyond where I am I don’t mind if she does Hollywood so that I’ll just be her manager but me I no go collect 10% na 20%.
2015 is just few days away, what will your 2016 resolution?
December is my month because that’s the month I was born and on my birthday what I do is sit down a day before my birthday I just say how do I want the next year to be and I always say that God you know how that next year will be just lead me.  I have lots of dreams,  I dream so big I want to grow beyond where I am so you know I just hope God will do it for me so that’s the way it is, when you put God first everything just fall in place. I cannot design this how I want my life, I know I have project that I want to release next year. I want to shoot the greatest movie, work with international bodies because that has been my dream from on set and having to bring Nollywood and Bollywood and Hollywood all the “woods” together unite as one and show great.
As a mother, producer, entrepreneur, philanthropist; when do have time for the home front?
My it’s not been easy for now it seems easy because I’ve been doing it for a while when you start everything seems so difficult that’s why I take my time to do everything I don’t rush into everything I take my time I do everything one step at the other. The only thing I know comes first are my kids  they always come first in everything that I do in my heart in my way God comes first but when it comes to my duties my children comes first I had to see to them that they are ok. I don’t sleep out except I’m out of Lagos if I’m within Lagos no matter how far the location is I always go home to make sure that I see them, I talk to them sometimes if they’ve slept I will wake up for them to be awake talk to them, how was school life so I get involved in their lives. My weekends when I’m not busy doing anything I’m home sometimes during the weekdays if I’m not working or I don’t have  any location I take out time two, three days  I stay at home with them when they come back from school they meet me at home, you know you just have to plan it, you have to have professional hands that’s why when I’m working, whenever I do my business, I need professional hands so that when I’m not there I know they will Handle it even more better  it’s just having to understand what to do. Acting to me is a hobby right now producing movies is like my second passion if you plan everything you have you have to know how you draw out your calendar and plan it and you find out that it works for you and you have a plan.
Are there plans of taking a shot at marriage again?
First let me say I am not open to relationship; but I have a man in my life that I love, that I respect and we’re good and I’m happy. I’ve already said the happiness is what matters to me and I’m having that happiness and I’m fine.

1 comment:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a self-help blog author and reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @selfhelpnemonik

    ReplyDelete